Stefan.Biffl (at) tuwien.ac.at
Telefon: +43-(0)1-588 01 – 188 10
Fax: +43-(0)1-588 01 – 188 99
By appointment via e-mail
Office Location: Favoritenstr. 11, 1st floor, red area, room HG0111
Information and Software Engineering Group
Technische Universität Wien
Favoritenstr. 9/194-1, A-1040 Wien Austria
I am an associate professor of software engineering at the Institute of Information Systems Engineering, Technische Universität Wien. I received MS and PhD degrees in computer science from the Vienna University of Technology and an MS degree in social and economic sciences from the University of Vienna. In 2001 I received an Erwin-Schrödinger research scholarship and spent one year as researcher at the Fraunhofer Institute of Experimental Software Engineering (headed by Dieter Rombach), focusing on quality management and empirical software engineering. Also, in 2001 I received the Habilitation degree (Venia Docendi) in Praktische Informatik for work on empirical software engineering in project management and quality management. In 2006 I worked as guest researcher at Czech Technical University, Department of Cybernetics (headed by Vladimir Marik). From 2010 to 2016 I headed the Christian Doppler research laboratory Software Engineering Integration for Flexible Automation Systems.
My research interests include
- Software and Systems Engineering process improvement
- Model Quality Assurance
- Value-based Software Engineering
- Empirical Software Engineering
- Collaboration in Software and Systems Engineering
- Software quality management & Software Engineering Process Improvement
- Engineering environment and engineering knowledge integration
- Engineering of Cyber-Physical Production Systems (Industrie 4.0)
- Production automation systems simulation and test
- Application focus: systems for monitoring and coordination of engineering heterogeneous software-intensive systems.
Recent Research Project Experience
- Principal researcher in the TU Wien Doctoral College Cyber-Physical Production Systems from 2015 to 2017.
- Key researcher at the competence center Secure Business Austria since 2012.
- Head of the Christian Doppler Laboratory for Software Engineering Integration for Flexible Automation from 2010 to 2016 with 4+Mill. Euro funding. In the CD Laboratory 10+ researchers worked for 7 years on application-oriented basic research for software and systems engineering environment integration with industry partners in the automation engineering domain.
- Principal researcher in the Complex Systems Design and Engineering Laboratory, 2008 to 2009.
- Principal researcher at TUW in several nationally funded research projects (FWF, FFG) and an EU Marie Curie Transfer of Knowledge project.
- Guest researcher at the Czech Technical Universty in Prague, Department of Cybernetics (2006) on software process design for automation systems engineering, agentAgent-based simulation of production automation systems, and software test automation for production systems.
- Guest researcher at the Fraunhofer Institute for Empirical Software Engineering (IESE), Germany, on software defect detection methods and defect prediction models (2001).
I have co-authored more than 200 publications in the areas of empirical software engineering, value-based software engineering, quality management, and software management. I was lead editor for the book Value-Based Software Engineering (Springer, September 2005) in collaboration with my co-editors A. Aurum, B.W. Boehm, H. Erdogmus, and P. Grünbacher.
In 2010, I co-authored the book Best Practice Software Engineering with A. Schatten, M. Demolsky, E. Gostischa-Franta, T. Östreicher, and Winkler D. (Spektrum Akademischer Verlag).
In 2016, I co-authored the book Semantic Web Technologies for Intelligent Engineering Applications with M. Sabou (Springer Verlag). In 2017, I co-authored the book Multi-Disciplinary Engineering for Cyber-Physical Production Systems with A. Lüder and D. Gerhard (Springer Verlag).
Awards and Shortlists
- Shortlist for Best Paper Award – Semantics 2016
F.J. Ekaputra, M. Sabou, E. Serral, and S. Biffl, “Knowledge Change Management and Analysis during the Engineering of Cyber Physical Production Systems”. in Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Semantic Systems – SEMANTiCS 2016.
- Best Paper Award – IEEE ETFA 2015 L. Berardinelli, S. Biffl, E. Mätzler, T. Mayerhofer, M. Wimmer: “Model-Based Co-Evolution of Production Systems and their Libraries with AutomationML”; in: “Proceedings of the 20th IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation (ETFA 2015)”, IEEE 2015.
- Shortlist for Best Paper Award – Semantics 2014 Andreas Grünwald, Dietmar Winkler, Marta Sabou, Stefan Biffl, “The Semantic Model Editor: Efficient Data Modeling and Integration based on OWL Ontologies”; Proceedings of the 10th International Semantic Systems (SEMANTIC), ACM, 2014.
- Best Paper Award – I-Semantics and I-Know conferences 2013 Fajar Ekaputra, Estefania Serral, Dietmar Winkler, Stefan Biffl, “An analysis framework for ontology querying tools”, In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Semantic Systems (I-SEMANTICS) in conjunction with the 13h International Conference on Knowledge Management and Knowledge Technologies (I-KNOW), ACM, 2013.
- Best Paper Award – atp award 2012 Stefan Biffl, Richard Mordinyi, Thomas Moser, “Requirements Analysis for Integrated Engineering – Mechanisms and Practical Demands”; atp edition 55 (4), pp 28-35, 2012.
- Outstanding Service Award – IFIP 2009 by the Int. Federation for Information Processing (IFIP), Technical Committee on Software: Theory and Practice, in 2009.
- Best Paper Award – IndIn 2008 Arndt Lüder, Lorenz Hundt, Stefan Biffl, “On the Suitability of Modeling Approaches For Engineering Distributed Control Systems”; at the IEEE Industrial Informatics (IndIn) Conference, 2009.
- Best Paper Award – EASE 2008 Stefan Biffl, Muhammad Ali Babar, Dietmar Winkler, “Impact of Experience and Team Size on the Quality of Scenarios for Architecture Evaluation” at the 12th Conference on Evaluation and Assessment in Software Engineering (EASE), Bari, Italy, 2008.
- Short list for Best Paper Award – IEEM 2008 Munir Merdan, Thomas Moser, Dindin Wahyudin, Stefan Biffl, “Performance Evaluation of Workflow Scheduling Strategies Considering Transportation Times and Conveyor Failures” at the IEEE Int. Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM), Singapore, 2008.
- ACM SIGSOFT Distinguished Paper Award – ASE 2003 Paul Grünbacher, Michael Halling, Stefan Biffl, “An Empirical Study on Groupware Support for Software Inspection Meetings” at the 18th IEEE International Conference on Automated Software Engineering (ASE), Montreal, Canada, 2003.
- Best Paper Award – INCOSE 2003 Hasan Kitapci, Barry W. Boehm, Paul Grünbacher, Michael Halling, Stefan Biffl, “Formalizing Informal Stakeholder Requirements Inputs” at the the 13th Annual International Symposium INCOSE (The International Council on Systems Engineering), Washington DC, 2003.
Involvement in the Research Community
Being a researcher means to be involved in activities that advance science and research and help transfer the state-of-the-art into practice. I contribute with the following activities. I am currently involved in the organization of following scientific events:
- Program Co-chair of the Full Paper Track at the ACM/IEEE Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM) 2017 in Toronto.
- Scientific Program Chair of the Software Quality Days (SWQD) 2018 conference in Vienna, Austria.
- Co-chair of the Software Product and Process Improvement (SPPI) Track at the Euromicro Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications (SEAA) 2018 in Prague, Czech Republic.
- Program Chair of the Track Software Engineering: Methods, Applications, and Tools (SEMAT) at the 44th International Conference on Current Trends in Theory and Practice of Computer Science (SofSem) 2018 in Krems, Austria.
- Program Committee member of the European Conference on Software Architecture (ECSA) 2017.
- Program Committee member of the Int. Conf. on Evaluation and Assessment in Software Engineering (EASE) 2018.
I have been involved in the organization and program committees of the following academic events:
- Scientifc Program Chair of the Software Quality Days conference since 2012.
- Keynote presenter at the Software Process Improvement Workshop (WAMPS) 2013 in Campinas, Brazil.
- Co-Chair of the special session on Mechatronical Engineering at the IEEE Int. Conf. on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation (ETFA) 2012 conference.
- Guest editor of the special issue of best papers at the Software Quality Days 2011 conference at the Software Quality Journal.
- Guest editor of the special issue of best papers at the SEAA 2011 conference at the journal Information and Software Technology.
- Co-Chair of the International Doctoral Symposium of the Profes Conference (IdoProfes) 2012 in Madrid, Spain.
- Local Organization Chair of the “European Software & System Process Improvement and Innovation” (EuroSPI) 2012 Conference in Vienna, Austria.
- Program Chair of the Euromicro Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications (SEAA) 2011 in Oulu, Finland.
- Co-chair of “Software Engineering for Distributed Systems” Track at the International Conference on Complex, Intelligent, and Software-Intensive Systems (CISIS) 2010 in Krakow, Poland.
- Key note “A Platform for Service-Oriented Integration of Software Engineering Environments” presenter at the 8th Int. Conf. on Software Methodologies, Tools and Techniques (SoMeT) 2009, in Prague, Czech Republic.
- Co-chair of the “Software Product and Process Improvement” (SPPI) Track at Euromicro Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications (SEAA) 2003 to 2006 and 2008 to 2010 and since 2012.
- Program committee co-chair of the International Conference on Complex, Intelligent, and Software-Intensive Systems (CISIS) 2009 in Fukuoka, Japan.
- Steering Committee member of the Central and Eastern European Conference on Software Engineering Techniques (CEE-SET) since 2008.
- Publicity chair of the European Software Engineering Conference and Foundation of Software Engineering (ESEC/FSE) 2007 in Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Publication chair ACM/IEEE Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM) 2007
- Co-chair of the Workshop on “Event-Based IT Systems” (EBITS) at the Conference on Availability, Reliability, and Security (ARES) 2007 in Vienna , Austria.
- Chair of Special Session on Value-Based Software Engineering (VBSE) at the Euromicro Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications (SEAA)
2006 in Cavtat/Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Program Committee member of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Software Engineering (ICSE) 2016.
- Program Committee member of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Software Product Lines (SPLC) 2015.
- Program Committee member of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering (SEKE) 2014.
- Co-chair of the special session on “Mechatronical Engineering” at the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society Conf. (IECON) 2013.
- Program Committee member of the 18th Int. Conf. on Evaluation and Assessment in Software Engineering (EASE) 2014.
- Program Committe member of the IEEE Industrial Informatics Conference (IndIn) 2013.
- Program Committee member of the International Doctoral Symposium of the Profes Conference (IdoProfes) 2013.
- Program Committee member of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation (ETFA) conference since 2012.
Program Committee member of the International Conference on Software and Systems Process (ICSSP) (co-located with the ACM/IEEE Int. Conf on Software Engineering, ICSE) since 2010.
- Program Committee member of the European Conference on Software Process Improvement (EuroSPI) since 2010.
- Program Committe member of the IEEE Industrial Informatics Conference (IndIn) since 2009.
- Program Committee member of the Int. Conf. on Product Focused Software Development and Process Improvement (Profes) since 2010.
- Program Committee member of the ACM/IEEE Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM) since 2008
- Program Committee member of the International Conference on Software Engineering Essentials (SEE) 2008 to 2012.
- Program Committee member of The International Conference on eXtreme Programming and Agile Processes in Software Engineering (XP) since 2006.
- Program Committee member of the European Conference on Software Process Improvement (EuroSPI) since 2005
- Program Committee member of the Int. Conf. on Availability, Reliability, and Security (ARES) 2006 to 2007.
I have acted as a reviewer for the following journals:
- IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering (TSE)
- ACM Trans. on SE Methodology (TOSEM)
- IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE)
- IEEE Trans. on Industrial Informatics (TIndIn)
- IEEE Journal on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMCC)
- Empirical Software Engineering: An International Journal (ESEM, Springer)
- Requirements Engineering Journal
- Software Testing, Verification, and Reliability Journal (STVR)
- International Journal on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering (IJSEKE)
- Journal on Software Architecture
- Information and Software Technology (IST)
- Journal of Systems and Software (JSS)
- IEEE Software
I have been international opponent at PhD defenses on topics including Software Engineering, empirical software engineering, and industrial production systems engineering. I have been a member of the scientific advisory boards of:
- EU FP7 project Medeia: “Model-Driven Embedded Systems Design Environment for the Industrial Automation Sector”; http://www.medeia.eu
- FFG research project Frontics: “Communication Framework for Networked Automation and Control Systems”; http://frontics.org
- Secure Business Austria, Comet 2 Competence Center.
- Software Competence Center Hagenberg (SCCH); Austria.
Scientific community service
I am a member scientific and professional societies:
- ACM (senior member)
- ACM Sigsoft
- the Austrian Computer Society
- the International Software Engineering Research Network and
- the IFIP Technical Committee on Software: Theory and Practice (IFIP TC2), acting as TC secretary from 2007 to 2009.